gajxo

Galactic Conquest Full Release Changelog

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:10 pm

After months of preparations the full release is finally here! Whether you’re a newcomer or a regular player, this changelog will guide you through the changes. For players, who returned after a longer time, we’ve also included a summary of major updates since the release in January.

Read the full changelog here:
https://galacticjunkleague.com/?a=news. ... -Changelog

Captain Palmer

Re: Galactic Conquest Full Release Changelog

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Firstly, thankyou for such an amazingly rich and beautiful game environment, and for the time you've put into to overhaul things.

Here are my views having played a few games so far, and I appreciate that these are not based on any scientific investigation, just my feel of the changes.

The positives:
1: I do like the changes relating to speed, shields and block levels, I think they help balance up the game rather well.

2: The changes made to bring the cruiser as the base ship and the changes to progression and junk/xp are also a positive development.

3: The new maps are very beautiful to look at and fly round and have some fantastic detail.

The negatives:
1: The reduction in the range of the gauss gun and cruise missiles on a battleship now means it cannot defend against heavy laser based ships even with defensive mode activated. I've watched my and other battleships be taken apart in seconds because they couldn't get those first shots in to disable an enemy.

2: The random choice of map doesn't seem to bring out a map that works for gauss based weapons. I appreciate that the sniper play style is divisive, but all maps now seem to be a missile players paradise, rather than having features which work for all playing styles. Abandoned colony certainly favours missile based weapons over everything else. (which I appreciate was deliberate).

3: The lack of score when entering a custom match.
Many people will look to use the custom match to test out new designs and options as the bots fight back (and use abilities too), rather than use the practice area where they don't.
I can see the custom match being used by those players that want an alternative to the team play style now required in the main match arenas, but still want to gain junk and XP. Given the coding exists why is this not an option? or is it simply to push people to play the new game mode?

Peoples thoughts?

CP

E-VAPOURIZED

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:35 pm

I welcome the new game mode it's more gripping with capture points, but did the developers need to completely get rid of the old game mode? I would welcome it as an alternative mode instead of being launched into this all the time, I could see this being a bit over whelming for new players and practice aint going to cut it!

I think your right something needs to be done about those missiles in this new design game mode, there was a change to them a while ago that they could get hidden ships in range, maybe this should be turned off for now?

For now I'm happy, it's a lot better there seems to be more real players about and less bots so that's a positive!

Ansi

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:34 am

I love this new update.
New maps are awesome. Really nice details sometimes I feel like we could play hide and seek in them just to enjoy them.

Also DPS nerf for frigate is great. Now they have their own specific role in match.

I feel little bad for battleships with their reduced range and lack of speed so i hope they will get something in return in future.

Also if I can ask here, were there some nerf about frigate speed ? Because my frigate with engine overload is much slower than before update and i dont know if its bug or just some change.

gajxo

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:16 am

Thanks for your insight guys :-)

To address some of your concerns.
  • Battleship role - With the Battleship we want to more closely define its role as a tank and defender and we think being able to snipe enemies
    goes against that role. However there are more blocks planned for the class in the future. What do you think would help compensate against its weakness against snipers?
  • Frigate speed - There was not supposed to be any nerf to the Frigate's speed or Engine Onverload's speed boost. We'll look into it.
  • Custom Game rewards - It's intentional that the Custom game gives no rewards, because it would be too easy to abuse.
  • Removing Team Deathmatch from MM - This is a negative side effect of our goal to make the game more varied and tactical with the new game mode. We think it was necessary to leave only Galactic Conquest so that players who build ships advantageous for the new game mode don't have to worry that TD will come up and their builds will be useless.

Captain Palmer

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:31 am

Thank you for your post Gajxo, its useful to have some insights from the developers point of view.

To respond to your posts:
1: I can see how a tanky area/point defender is going to be useful, but can also see issues relating to armour/speed/weapons, combinations, especially given the huge gaps between speeds of the fastest and slowest classes.

If we are adding more blocks to the Battleship, I would suggest a separate reflective shield that when activated, enables say between 50% at level 1 to 75% at level 10 of the damage of a laser based weapon to either be reflected away from the ship or channelled into the ships energy. (this is separate to damage absorb, which only absorbs a small amount of damage and is applicable to all weapon types)
My reason for suggesting such high numbers relates to the coring issue identified previously, and that if a battleship is to become tanky it won't have the ability to move quickly enough to get out of range of laser based weapons.

I agree it should have a cool down, and agree there should be a 50% reduction in movement when the shield is deployed.

3:
I am surprised that the custom game can be abused, but as a suggestion (and this follows on with my next point below)
have three options when you click on the play screen.
1: The new Capture the flag mode
2: The existing Team death match mode
3: The custom game mode.

This then gives the player the flexibility, to chose which type of game they play, and prevents the abuse you refer too. it also addresses the following:

4:
We think it was necessary to leave only Galactic Conquest so that players who build ships advantageous for the new game mode don't have to worry that TD will come up and their builds will be useless

By the same token, many of the existing ship designs other than for frigates are now very limited or useless in the new game mode forcing a redesign as well. By giving the players a choice of which kind of match they go into they can pick a more appropriate design.

VERTi60

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Battleships are really the weakest class now in my opinion, they could benefit from self healing since they are easily disabled (engines) and then they become useless in the new game mode.

Other than that I think everything is fine though the meta is shifting for builds that have mobility rather than DPS.

suli

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:16 pm

From my point of view, BB look to be good tank he can defend point really well but problem is, its hard to earn more score when you dont kill a lot of enemies and because you are slow, you dont get benefit from collecting bonuses Unlike that frigate dont need to kill nobody just only with flying around can easily get 2500+ score this is why frigate is favorite class now...
I think if player get score for every few sec he stay in point and deffend it, then player can earn comparatively the same score like frigate.

Cyrus Black

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:30 pm

I do enjoy BB, but i too have some commentary on them. the other three classes work wondefully, but the BB feels under powered in its role function. it can sit on a Cap point and tank, sorta. thats great, but it cant do much to hold that point without combat support.

Frigates may not do much damage anymore, but they are amazing harrassers and point grabbers. a good Frigate player can be the difference between winning and loosing.

DD are *decent* at dislodging defenders from cap points, and with the right build layout, are great Glass cannon/dps'ers

Cruisers are pretty legit all around, though i feel that the Bubble sheild should be a BB power, or that a BB should get a similar or greater power since its focus is defense.

Potential ways of improving the Battleship class:

-----------------------Better weapons-----------------------

16 inch Battleship cannon.
Guass Family tree.
fires 3 rounds with .5 seconds between shots.
100 -150 CPU to place,
range of 2,500.
heavy damage per shot,
50 -100 energy cost per shot.
long reload , slow projectile. Explosive radius.
shape of 4 long, 3 wide, 2 high.
main guns, and therefore are an "eggs in one basket" weapon

wave motion gun Power module,
similar to how the plasma ball works as a super weapon for Destroyers. does damage in a Cylinder area out to 2,500 feet, with a radius of 10-20 blocks

[youtube] https://youtu.be/4phT2Vukvn0?t=249 [/youtube]

-----------------------Better Defenses-----------------------

Weak healing Power
recover 10-50 healthpoints every second. this is not enough to make the builds OP, and is worthless for 10K+ hp builds, but it will let BB get into low end scuffs and keep fighting afterward. DD will still shred them, as will sustained fire

Stronger Health Kit Drop effects
It is mentioned healing kits will be dropped in battle in a future game update.... a built in effect you could add to Battleships is that BB automatically Magnetize in health kits ina 1-2Km range and the health kits are stronger then it would be for other classes picking them up. you could (depending on how you plan to use this mechanic) also have them drop from ships the BB kills.

Linear Thruster utility or Module
Implementation A: this would be a 3x2x2 Thruster that gives massive forward momentum but does nothing for any other direction. this means it would still move slowly trying to strafe or go in any other direction but forward, possibly slower due to the thrusters weight

Implementation B: or a module that gives a BB an instant double or triple forward speed dash. Potentially moving it 1Km over a period of 2-3 seconds. this would put the BB in range of targets quickly, but require considering cooldown limitations. during its dash, it would cause damage to hit ships. in my opinion this is the better of the two implementations

Frontal Panel Sheild Module
give the BB a frontal sheild with 5-10k hp and a radius/width of 15-20 blocks. the shield would stand out by about 10 blocks from the BB. this would llet the BB lead weaker ships like DD into a point, by giving them mobile shield protection. this ability would last until the sheild is broken, or die out in 15 seconds.

Similar to Rienhart of Overwatch :

Weak Bubble Sheild Block/power
similar to the cruisers Bubble sheild. would let the BB tank weak hits and stay alive without taking critical damage from under focused attacks.

Better Armor
the goal of Battleship armor is understood, however, its implementation is... poor. Battleship armor comes in 1 shape. a 2x2x1 block. its VERY creatively limiting. the few BB that do last in games these days tend to fill the "cheesebox" role. many of us consider this the only effective build for BB. CHeesebox + rocket launchers and Mag pull + fortress mode. for the most part, many of us believe Battleshps cannot be effective without those components.
example:

Potential solutions:

A: remove the BB special 2x2x1 Armor and makethe regular Armor plates for Battleships have 200% healthpoints of the base armor plate, keep weight penalties, or increase them. possibly reduce hull HP to base to compensate.

B: give us more interesting design options for BB Special Armor. more angles, slopes and other designs. perhaps make a 3x3x1 or make one that curves around (like a slope or an L or other interesting shaped parts)

C: Replace the Armor Mechanic with something better. perhaps make every 4 adjacent armor plates fuse into one single armor plate.
Developer At Golden Shovel Games

suli

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 pm

16 inch Battleship cannon

Yes BB need some Big weapon like that.
Weak healing Power
recover 10-50 healthpoints every second. this is not enough to make the builds OP, and is worthless for 10K+ hp builds, but it will let BB get into low end scuffs and keep fighting afterward. DD will still shred them, as will sustained fire

Make it like ability that recover hp of existing blocks but desable all engines and weapons when is active (like defendsive mode) then it dont give you lot of survivability in fight but you can recover after fight.
and i think something like this can be for all classes but only tanky BB benefit most from it.

Return to “Changelog”